Saturday 12 June 2010

Bird frame

I made this piece this afternoon.


It started out as a plain wooden photo frame. I painted it black. 

Whilst the frame was drying, I prepared the metal pieces. First I stuck card to the metal using Humungo Tape and then I embossed it using my Cuttlebug. I covered it in black acrylic paint and just before it was completely dry I wiped the excess paint away, creating an antique effect. I then sprayed it with Glimmer Mist. Whilst this was drying I applied Inka-Gold to the painted frame, except for the recess at the top.

I made the embellishments from Grunge Paper using Tim Holtz Sizzix dies, painted them with black acrylic paint and then added some colour with Inka-Gold. I added brads to the bottom of the cage and used another in the 'artful' Idea-ology piece.

The last stage was assembling it all. I was pleased to find that one of the papers from my Tim Holtz Paper Stack was just the right colour, so I cut out the map and placed it into the frame.

Finished - now I just have to decide where to hang it!

3 comments:

Martina said...

This bird frame is beyond gorgeous, Jackie! It takes my breath away!
Fantastic piece of art!

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, beautiful! You've really got the hang of handling the metal - something I haven't tried yet but seeing this makes me want to rush out and try it! Kate

Deborah said...

This is fabulous, Jackie! I'd hang it right where I could see it most of the time and congratulate myself on my brilliance LOL