Tuesday 6 April 2010

Flower and background

This is my second project of the day.

I pasted a piece of Anna Griffin paper onto a piece of cardboard. Onto this I painted a thin layer of white gesso and then patches of black gesso, leaving one of the flowers visible. I mixed some Distress Ink tea dye refill with some acrylic glazing medium and brushed it over the whole of the piece to give the brown colouring. Then came the stamping - Tim Holtz stars, and black circles using the inside of a toilet roll dipped in black acrylic paint. At this stage I used a toothbrush to add some white gesso brush marks. I outlined the flower with a black, waterproof pen and coloured it with transparent acrylic paint. Having written over the background with a white gel pen, I painted patches of the same colour over the background to promote some integration. A few more patches of tea dye colour, a few highlights with the gel pen and the black border finished the piece.
N.B. I made sure each layer was dry before applying the next.